Monday, July 7, 2008

Strange Creatures

So far my blogging has been slow, and I have posted all things gardening, but hey it's what we are doing these days, so here comes another garden post. "If you build it, they will come." is not just true for baseball fields. As soon as you plant a garden, strange creatures you have never seen before suddenly appear, welcome or not. This morning I found one of these in my garden. It's called a planarian or shovel head worm.
It's creepy and evidently it's carnivorous, it's prey of choice being earthworms. They have been known to eradicate entire populations of earthworms. Not good!  It won't be staying in my garden, I just hope there aren't more. They aren't native here but often travel in potted plants. I think He/She (it's both) came from my nearby newly added potted plant. Let's hope it's a lone traveler!

2 comments:

Steph said...

Wow - I think I'd be OUT if that thing showed up in my yard!!

Thanks for visiting my blog. I was excited to find your blog and have it on my Google Reader. I'm looking forward to reading more and sharing with you! Try to stay cool - it's awful out there!

Anonymous said...

oh my...it almost looks like a gardner snake! yea hopefully it is a lone traveler...