Thursday, June 26, 2008
Stinking Caterpillars
So organic gardening has it's frustrations, mine currently happens to be little green caterpillars and inch worms. I returned from girls camp to find the pesky little green inch worm had eaten almost all my romaine lettuce heads, a few were spared, but the carnage they left was ugly. I got down on all fours and plucked them one by one from their leafy green feast. Some were smaller than the tip of my fingernail. I thought I got all the ones in the romaine only to find a few more the next day. Persistent little buggers! I think it's under control but I will keep a watchful eye on the developing leaves. Today, I took a closer look at a pot of geraniums my in-laws gave me for mothers day, they were gorgeous when I got them but have been struggling since the first wave of flowers dropped. They have begun to bloom again, but only a few, and the ones I thought would open, have not. As I looked closer what should I find, but nasty little green caterpillars that seem to bore holes in the undeveloped blossom buds and eat the insides. I am SO irritated, I went on the hunt and found several caterpillars of various sizes and what I think are eggs on the leaves, I squished the eggs and took the green guys hostage for the girls to look at. The war is on!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment